Patients over Paperwork Initiative
The Patients over Paperwork initiative focuses its efforts on patients while easing the regulatory burdens that break the doctor-patient relationship while ensuring Providers deliver the best quality care to their patients.
The program has focused its efforts in the following areas:
- Implementing MACRA to lessen burden & cost
- Cutting documentation requirements
- Making the medical review process clearer
- Making it easier for people to get the treatment they need
- Making Meaningful measures
- Lowering Drug Costs
On April 2, 2018, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) issued a final rule that updates Medicare Advantage (MA) and the prescription drug benefit program (Part D) by promoting innovation and empowering MA and Part D sponsors with new tools to improve quality of care and provide more plan choices to enrollees.
The final changes will result in an estimated $295 million in savings a year for the Medicare program over 5 years (2019 through 2023), resulting in lower premiums or additional benefits.
The final rule continues the work of Patients over Paperwork and would empower patients and doctors in making decisions about patient healthcare.
Specifically, the final rule reduces regulatory burdens by:
- Authorizing CMS to permit plans to use notice of electronic posting (and provision of copies upon request) to satisfy disclosure requirements for certain bulky documents to 6 Medicare beneficiaries, thereby empowering patients with the information to make their own healthcare decisions;
- Eliminating requirements that plans submit, in addition to their bids, similar and overlapping accounting information;
- Making it easier for plans to communicate with beneficiaries by streamlining government review and approval of marketing materials used by plans; and
- Eliminating enrollment requirements for healthcare providers and prescribers that bring value to Medicare Advantage and Part D beneficiaries.
As always, if you need help or would like more information – please let us know.