So, what is the meaningful measures initiative?
- Initiative from CMS which identifies high priority areas for quality measurement and improvement.
- Launched in 2017
- This program will not replace any existing program
Meaningful Measures move payments toward value and focus’s efforts on quality areas incorporating the following principles:
- Address high impact measure areas that safeguard public health
- Patient-centered and meaningful to patients
- Outcome-based where possible
- Fulfill requirements in programs’ statutes
- Minimize level of burden for providers
- Significant opportunity for improvement
- Address measure needs for population based payment through alternative payment models
- Align across programs and/or with other payers (Medicaid, commercial payers)
Examples of Meaningful Measures Include:
Prevention and Treatment of Opioid and Substance Use Disorders
- Annually, three out of five drug overdose deaths involve an opioid, resulting in over $72 billion in medical costs.
- Objective: Ensure screening for and treatment of substance use disorders, including those co-occurring with mental health disorders
- Current Measure in Use: Preventive Care and Screening: Unhealthy Alcohol Use Screening and Brief Counseling
Appropriate Use of Healthcare
- Overuse of services is estimated to account for nearly $300 billion a year in expenditures.
- Objective: Ensure patients receive the care they need while avoiding unnecessary tests and procedures.
- Current Measure in Use: Avoidance of Antibiotic Treatment in Adults with Acute Bronchitis
Management of Chronic Conditions
- People with multiple chronic conditions account for 93% of total Medicare spending.
- Objective: Promote effective management of chronic conditions, particularly for those with multiple chronic conditions
- Current Measure in Use: Diabetes: Hemoglobin A1C Poor Control (>9%)
- Many screening rates, like those for breast (72%), cervical (83%), and colorectal (59%) cancers, are below desired levels and reflect disparities across ethnicity/race.
- Objective: Prevent diseases by providing immunizations and evidence-based screenings, and promoting healthy life style behaviors and addressing maternal and child health.
- Current Measure in Use: Preventive Care and Screening: Breast Cancer Screening
CMS provides additional information about the initiative in the Meaningful Measures Hub.